I cannot tell you how depressing I find it that this new study about human values reduces the Greek concept of eudaimonia, or complete happiness, to self-care and personal pleasure. Are you kidding me? The Greek word means human flourishing in the sense of fully activating our ability to live well-- to have healthy stable lives where we are materially secure, act justly in community, enjoy friendships that help us be better people, and contribute to the safety and happiness of our society.
Head buried in hands. Calling it quits for the day.
—Danielle Allen
https://www.wsj.com/opinion/is-gen-z-unemployable-288d2ec9?st=VxHViF
https://substack.com/@daniellerenovator/note/c-159518935?r=35ogp&utm_medium=ios&utm_source=notes-share-action
Successor site to the Philosophy of Happiness blog (http://philoshap.blogspot.com/) that supported PHIL 3160 at MTSU, 2011-2019. The course returns Fall 2025.
PHIL 3160 – Philosophy of Happiness
What is it, how can we best pursue it, why should we? Supporting the study of these and related questions at Middle Tennessee State University and beyond. "Examining the concept of human happiness and its application in everyday living as discussed since antiquity by philosophers, psychologists, writers, spiritual leaders, and contributors to pop culture."
Up@dawn 2.0
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Good List: 6 Things to Add Delight to Your Day
Always look for d’light… https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/16/briefing/16-the-good-list-september-migration.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share
-
Let's introduce ourselves, fellow Happiness scholars/pursuers. I'm Dr. Oliver, I've been teaching this course in alternate years...
-
UPDATE, Oct. 2 . The schedule is set. For those who've not declared a topic preference, there's still time. Look in the first four c...
-
We're just a little over a week few days out from the Fall '23 semester Opening Day! Let's introduce ourselves. My brief bio is...
To be fair, personal pleasure and self care are definitely part of eudaimonia. I would argue that part of how we discover how to be good to others is by exploring what feels good to us, physically and emotionally.
ReplyDelete