PHIL 3160 – Philosophy of Happiness

What is it, how can we best pursue it, why should we? Supporting the study of these and related questions at Middle Tennessee State University and beyond. "Examining the concept of human happiness and its application in everyday living as discussed since antiquity by philosophers, psychologists, writers, spiritual leaders, and contributors to pop culture."

Monday, November 22, 2021

A Spirit of Gratitude Is Healthy for Society

On Thanksgiving, consider the multiple benefits of giving thanks.

Quote of the day:

"The good life, as I conceive it, is a happy life. I do not mean that if you are good you will be happy; I mean that if you are happy you will be good."

— Bertrand Russell, "New Hopes for a Changing World" (1951)

nyt

3 comments:

  1. I always loved Thanksgiving. For the most part, it offers an opportunity to reflect on and give thanks for everything in your life. Also, it's accompanied by some good food and a nice family gathering. My only regret is that, like with most holidays in the American culture, has become just another day celebrating consumerism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree more. There is something to appreciating what is given. Although I have only ever celebrated holidays out of family conformity, I never have felt any personal desire to participate or celebrate holidays whatsoever. I feel no meaning at all in regards to any holiday. I suppose I do not like being reminded every couple months of the passage of time triumphing over me like the ocean waves eventually wearing down even the mightiest cliffs with enough time. Morbid note to end on but none the less this is how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my family, we have learned to be flexible about designated holidays so our family celebrations are whenever we can all be together. One benefit of this pattern has been that we have often found ourselves traveling to some warm place in the south on Christmas day having celebrated Christmas and a couple of family members birthdays the week before. Driving on New Years day works well too (very little traffic as with Christmas day as well).

    ReplyDelete

Steve Gleason’s good life

What's the last great book you read? When I was diagnosed [with ALS], one of the first questions I asked in a journal entry was, "...