PHIL 3160 – Philosophy of Happiness

What is it, how can we best pursue it, why should we? Supporting the study of these and related questions at Middle Tennessee State University and beyond. "Examining the concept of human happiness and its application in everyday living as discussed since antiquity by philosophers, psychologists, writers, spiritual leaders, and contributors to pop culture."

Thursday, November 18, 2021

The Genius of Spinoza: A Better Point of View (Final Blog Post)

In search of the original Spinoza - The Jerusalem Post

The Genius of Spinoza: A Better Point of View

By Nethianal Belmont

    I will begin this blog post by telling my story of why Spinoza made such an impact on me. The whole story isn't necessary but the mindset I was in when I learned about Spinoza is. I came to MTSU to better my purpose in life. I was an Episcopalian Christian who wanted to become a Priest in the church. I wanted to find a way to bring all of the different denominations of Christianity back together and I was determined to succeed. Theological debate was already in my blood so I wasn't worried about losing faith. I knew I could argue with the best of them and I had faith that God was going to show me the truth and I would be a part of it. However, there was a lot I didn't consider in my train of thought because I wanted a purpose in life so bad I was too blind to see it. In my first semester at MTSU, I took a class called Religion and Society. I learned about all the different mechanisms that make religions function around the world. I learned that Christianity wasn't so different. However, as I am sure any Christian could, it was easy for me to explain something like that away.  It would make sense that every religion would resemble one another because there is only one true God right? Well, things only got more complicated from this point forward. I learned that as values change over time within society those values are reflected within the religion, especially in Christianity. Due to the fact, my Religion and Society professor was an expert on Jesus most of our material was relevant to my personal educational development. The books that impacted me at this stage in my journey are Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire, How the World Thinks: A Global History of Philosophy, and Studying Religion: An Introduction Through Cases.

    After that first semester, I was pretty lost as to what to think. However, I knew I wasn't going to get any answers from religion. I didn't find the answers I was looking for until my next semester when I took History of Modern Philosophy. In this class, I learned that many people have been asking similar questions without the comfort of an all-powerful God as well. However, none so fearlessly as Baruch Spinoza. Some might also know him because of his nickname "Jew from Hell" which I adore. It is because it highlights the risks he was taking within his community by talking about his ideas. In this blog post, I am more interested in extrapolating part of his work in  Ethics. However, for a more rounded view of who Spinoza was, I will put a link here:



     Benedict Spinoza’s Ethics Part 1: Appendix begins by establishing that the logic discussed prior, in the previous sections of Part 1, is carefully crafted and therefore true. That God is the universe, a self-caused cause, the only substance with subsequent modes and is perfect unto itself. However, Spinoza says that even with the explanation there will be those who have prejudices against it. The Appendix is his attempt to make sense of why people aren’t willing to understand or accept his logic and why their attempts to think otherwise are false. Furthermore, to continue with these false notions leads to a system of false teleological misconceptions about objects and their natures.

 Spinoza says this phenomenon is a result of the following two facts: “all men are born ignorant of the causes of things” and “all men want to seek their advantages and are conscious of wanting this.” He then elaborates to say that this results in men thinking themselves to be self-causing, that is to say, they aren’t in a causal relationship with anything beyond themselves. Therefore, they don’t give the slightest thought to any possible causes outside of the one type of cause they are familiar with which is a final cause. A final cause is a cause that has a result or an end to a goal. 

For example, if a person asks why it rains, they are asking “to what purpose does the rain serve?” as one might ask another person about their final goal like why they brush their teeth. Spinoza says that if a person can’t find the answer to why something happens, they will direct their question inward and ask themselves, a being of final causes, why they would do such a thing. A likely answer might be to make the plants grow or to supply drinking water. It is explained that this leads humans to see the entirety of the world through similar human final causes, in particular, final causes in aid of human goals like animals for food or sun for light. In other words, the world is made up of materials designed to help humans survive. Spinoza says that because these causes were established subconsciously while giving the impression of being discovered, it allowed humans to assign these powers to a being more powerful than themselves. This misconception further translates into a creator, an all-powerful ruler of nature who wants to help them.

Spinoza says that these conclusions are false for several reasons. It mistakes causes for effects and effects for causes, it makes nature follow rather than come first, and finally, it makes supremely perfect imperfect. According to Spinoza, the first two reasons are sufficiently handled by the definitions and propositions explained earlier in the Ethics. The third reason can be explained in a simple logical statement.  Spinoza explains that for God to be complete or perfect, you can’t give God a purpose. If God has a purpose that would mean God is lacking something and therefore is not complete or perfect. He says there have been many attempts by theologians, and the like, to reconcile these issues but rather than use the proper reasoning skills of reducing things to the impossible and possible, they reduce them to an endless cycle of questions designed to make a person give up and be content with ignorance.

Spinoza explains that this is a problem because it warps our ability to think accurately about nature (God) and therefore translates into objects. We become convinced that how an object affects us is intrinsic to its nature just like how we assume because God is favoring us it is intrinsic of God’s nature to do so. This results in evaluative thinking rather than mechanical sequence. An example of this might be thinking that apples are good just because an apple is good for the human body. An apple can be hot or cold which is a result of mechanical causes but it can’t be good or bad because those values are not part of the apple's nature. Essentially, Spinoza is saying that purposes are in users, not things. 

In understand this, I found a new peace about the universe I had not had before. It was the peace of finally understand the Universe and for that I will always be grateful.  No more did I have God telling me I had to live in some level of ignorance about the world around me. I was free to think and pursue the world as far as I can before I die and that is enough for me.


Curious Kids: Are there living things on different galaxies?



Other Links:
Spinoza's Ethics: 069119324X
Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire: 1400067219
Studying Religion: An Introduction Through Cases: 0073386596
How the World Thinks: A Globle History of Philosophy: ref=sr_1_1


11 comments:

  1. Thanks Nate. Your images are too big for the margins, can you shrink them please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all have questions like yours! Lucky for us that The Episcopal Church welcomes, and even encourages, us to ask! If you've not been yet, please give St. Paul's a visit! All (people and questions!) are welcome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right about us all having questions like this and The Episcopal Church does welcome and encourages us to ask. However, to say they answer these questions with anything other than speculation and throwing up their hands saying they won't know until they get to heaven is a lie. That isn't enough for me and neither is any God of any religion.

      Delete
    2. I think you are right about us all having questions like this and The Episcopal Church does welcome and encourages us to ask. However, to say they answer these questions with anything other than speculation and throwing up their hands saying they won't know until they get to heaven is a lie. That isn't enough for me and neither is any God of any religion.

      Delete
    3. I think you are right about us all having questions like this and The Episcopal Church does welcome and encourages us to ask. However, to say they answer these questions with anything other than speculation and throwing up their hands saying they won't know until they get to heaven is a lie. That isn't enough for me and neither is any God of any religion.

      Delete
  3. If you can find Spinozistic bliss is a thoroughly-determined "block universe" devoid of real possibilities, good for you. Doesn't work for me, but it's definitely more appealing than most mainstream theology. I still always want to understand from Spinozists, though, how it's possible to believe in a "divine and perfect God" coextensive with a universe so obviously not in all particulars divine and perfect. Lunatics driving murderously into crowds of children, for instance, is no part of any presumption of divine perfection I could ever assent to.

    I'm glad you've taken Fantasyland and How the World Thinks to heart, they both seem to me to point sharply away from Spinozistic conclusions. Maybe you can address that here in your final draft? Or at least we can look forward to productive conversations about that in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, if you don't already know it, check out the LA Theater Company production of "The New Jerusalem"...

      https://www.audible.com/pd/New-Jerusalem-

      Publisher's Summary
      As a young Jewish man in 17th century Amsterdam, Baruch de Spinoza excelled as a theological student; but as he encountered free-thinking Protestants, atheists, and radicals in this relatively tolerant city, he began to question his religion and the nature of God. As a result, he was branded a heretic and faced excommunication.

      An L.A. Theatre Works full-cast performance featuring: Matthew Wolf as Baruch de Spinoza; Edward Asner as Abraham van Valkenburgh; Richard Easton as Saul Levi Mortera; Andrea Gabriel as Clara; Arye Gross as Ben Israel; Amy Pietz as Rebekah; James Wagner as Simon de Vries.

      Audiobook/B006BBH5ZA?qid=1637637548&sr=1-1&ref=a_search_c3_lProduct_1_1&pf_rd_p=83218cca-c308-412f-bfcf-90198b687a2f&pf_rd_r=GF6B68036XPPSJTWFX8M

      Delete
    2. Dr. Oliver,

      When you ask "how is it possible to believe in a divine and perfect God coexistensive with a universe so obviously not in all particulars divine and perfect" you miss the whole point of my post. Spinoza didn't believe in a "divine and perfect God in coexistance with a universe." Spinoza believed the Universe is God and that it is "perfect" in the sense that is doesn't need anything else to exist other than itself. As far as a "perfectly good God," Spinoza would call that a contradiction. He would say that good is subjective and that would be giving the Universe a purpose which would make it imperfect.

      Delete
    3. Nate, I got the point of your post. Please notice: I didn't say "coexist" but coextensive, a crucial difference for SPinoza implying no practical difference for us between the concepts of god and universe. If god and universe ARE coextensive (not coexistent), it's hard for me to understand how Spinoza avoids committing himself to the proposition that the universe is perfectly good. That's what I'm hoping you can help me understand. Our finite perceptions of good may be subjective, on this Spinozistic view, since we're separately but aspects of the whole; but the universe viewed AS a whole, sub specie aeternitatis as he says, must be viewed as a perfect whole. No?

      Perhaps this excerpt from James's Pragmatism (Lec. VII) might clarify my perspective on Spinoza, and on rationalism generally. You can tell James and me where we're getting it wrong:

      "The import of the difference between pragmatism and rationalism is now in sight throughout its whole extent. The essential contrast is that for rationalism reality is ready-made and complete from all eternity, while for pragmatism it is still in the making, and awaits part of its complexion from the future. On the one side the universe is absolutely secure, on the other it is still pursuing its adventures...

      THE ALTERNATIVE BETWEEN PRAGMATISM AND RATIONALISM, IN THE SHAPE IN WHICH WE NOW HAVE IT BEFORE US, IS NO LONGER A QUESTION IN THE THEORY OF KNOWLEDGE, IT CONCERNS THE STRUCTURE OF THE UNIVERSE ITSELF.

      On the pragmatist side we have only one edition of the universe, unfinished, growing in all sorts of places, especially in the places where thinking beings are at work.

      On the rationalist side we have a universe in many editions, one real one, the infinite folio, or edition de luxe, eternally complete; and then the various finite editions, full of false readings, distorted and mutilated each in its own way.

      So the rival metaphysical hypotheses of pluralism and monism here come back upon us...

      https://www.gutenberg.org/files/5116/5116-h/5116-h.htm

      Delete
  4. Dr. Oliver, The term coextensive, according to oxford languages, means "extending over the same space or time; corresponding exactly in extent." Which I interpret to be a fancy way of saying they mean the same thing or that they are still different but the same kind of like how you can't seperate space and time. Regardless of if you meant the former or the latter I think the term synonym functions better here. On another point to your question he clearifies in the appendix on what "good and bad" really are. Spinoza says in his Appendix,
    "After men convinced themselves that whatever hap- pens does so on their account, they had to judge as most important in each thing whatever is most useful to them, and to rate as most excellent all the things by which they were most pleased. So they had to develop the notions:
    good, bad, order, confusion, warm, cold, beauty, uglinessin terms of which they ‘explained’ natural things. I shall briefly discuss these here. (Because men think themselves free, they have also formed the notion of praise and blame and sin and merit. I’ll explain these after I have treated human nature.)
    Whatever contributes to health and to the worship of God they have called ‘good’, and what is contrary to these they call ‘bad’.
    Those who don’t understand the real nature of things, and have only a pictorial grasp of them, mistake their own imaginings for intellectual thought; they really have nothing to say about things, but in their ignorance of things and of their own natures they firmly believe that there is an order in things"
    Hopefully this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In addition, on what you said about rationalism and pragmatism...my education on rationalism and empiricism ends with a bit of Kant. So, I am not an expert on the subject...yet. However, "a universe in many editions" does not sound familar.

    ReplyDelete

Steve Gleason’s good life

What's the last great book you read? When I was diagnosed [with ALS], one of the first questions I asked in a journal entry was, "...