PHIL 3160 – Philosophy of Happiness

What is it, how can we best pursue it, why should we? Supporting the study of these and related questions at Middle Tennessee State University and beyond. "Examining the concept of human happiness and its application in everyday living as discussed since antiquity by philosophers, psychologists, writers, spiritual leaders, and contributors to pop culture."

Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Fantasyland, A book to consider

 Hello Everyone,


Today's class was super interesting, Props to Nate for that, and the discord of thought that occurred due to the eccentric wording of his author made me pull out an old, yet not so old, classic from a previous class I have taken with Dr. Oliver. 

I'd like to point you to Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire by Kurt Andersen

When I tell you this book through me for a loop, it is the biggest understatement of my life. The first chapter alone makes you both insanely curious to keep reading but also depressed by the amount of sheer stupidity in America. 

I intend on bringing this book into our discussion of Happiness for my final presentation as well as one or two freakonomics podcasts that discuss the unique case of the American Mindset. 

I hope you guys will take this book into consideration on your next journey to the bookstore, whether that be kindle or Barnes and Noble. 



3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to that, Patricia.

    Andersen's latest book "Evil Geniuses" continues the story. We're further down the fantasy rabbit-hole than we realized, as the gap between our stated national ideals and reality widens.

    $7.99 for Fantasyland on kindle, btw, and less than that for used copies. Everyone should read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot quite remember who or when, but at some point I had someone recommend me this book in the past. They were also quick to sing its praises without spoiling too much. I’ll definitely have to give it a read sometime, especially if it is as conversation-provoking as Tuesday’s class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard so many people talk about this book, SO excited to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete

Steve Gleason’s good life

What's the last great book you read? When I was diagnosed [with ALS], one of the first questions I asked in a journal entry was, "...