PHIL 3160 – Philosophy of Happiness

What is it, how can we best pursue it, why should we? Supporting the study of these and related questions at Middle Tennessee State University and beyond. "Examining the concept of human happiness and its application in everyday living as discussed since antiquity by philosophers, psychologists, writers, spiritual leaders, and contributors to pop culture."

Monday, November 1, 2021

"I Just Turned 60, but I Still Feel 22"

Sorrow in the face of aging would be a poor response to this good fortune.

...On the days when headlines are full, yet again, with firestorms and catastrophic flooding and biodiversity collapse and endless pandemic and a depressingly effective disinformation campaign to deny the climate emergency — on those days...I am glad to be 60 because it means I almost certainly won't live to witness the cataclysm that is coming if humanity cannot change its ways in time.

But that's not the way I think on most days. On most days I am simply grateful for the 60 years I've had....

Margarent Renkl, nyt 

1 comment:

  1. I wish my 22-year-old self could say the same. I’ll be around a little bit longer to see how much deeper we dig our hole. Though, maybe I should just be hopeful that it’ll all work out. Nature has a funny way of always winning, albeit at great costs sometimes. So, I would hope we can pull ourselves together in the meantime before Mother Nature decides to flip the switch.

    ReplyDelete

Steve Gleason’s good life

What's the last great book you read? When I was diagnosed [with ALS], one of the first questions I asked in a journal entry was, "...